- Over 1,400 students participate on 69 different athletic teams in 27 sports. San Clemente Triton athletic teams are top contenders in the competitive Coast View Athletic Association of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF).
- San Clemente is consistently ranked among the top overall athletic programs in Orange County and the CIF-SS!
- Over the past three years, Triton athletic teams have achieved 41 league championships at the varsity level and over the past ten years, Triton athletic teams have achieved 119 league championships at the varsity level!
- This year (18/19), Triton athletic teams have achieved another 15 league championships at the varsity level (Boys’ Cross Country; Girls’ Cross Country; Football; Girls’ Tennis -5x consecutive; Girls’ Volleyball; Boys’ Water Polo -2x consecutive; Boys’ Soccer -3 in past 4 yrs.; Boys’ Surfing -24 in past 25 yrs.; Girls’ Water Polo -3x consecutive; Boys’ Wrestling; Girls’ Wrestling; Boys’ Lacrosse -3x consecutive; Softball; Boys’ Tennis -9x consecutive; and, Boys’ Volleyball). Boys’ Soccer were CIF-SS Div. I Champions and State Div. I Regional Champions (finished ranked #1 in State / #2 in USA); Boys’ & Girls’ Surfing were the NSAA State Champions (10th time in past 11 years) and will be going for another National Championship in June; Girls’ Water Polo were the CIF-SS Div. II Runner-Up.
- Since 2000, the Tritons have won twenty-three (23) CIF Championships (five in Girls’ Basketball, five in Girls’ Soccer, three in Boys’ Wrestling, three in Girls’ Golf, three in Boys’ Soccer, and one each in Girls’ Volleyball, Girls’ Cross Country, Girls’ Water Polo, and Football), five (5) State Championships (two in Boys’ Soccer, one in Girls’ Soccer, one in Girls’ Cross Country, one in Football) and eight (8) National Championships (in Boys’ & Girls’ Surfing).
- This past school year (17/18), 32 of our student-athletes signed National Letters of Intent to continue their athletic endeavors at the four-year collegiate level including many of the most prestigious NCAA Athletic Programs in the Nation
- 121 former Triton student-athletes are currently participating in athletics at the four-year collegiate level for the 2018/19 school year.
- Since 2015, some notable individual accomplishments of Triton athletes include Rachel Tilly who won the World Longboarding Championship and has been the #1 ranked women’s longboarder in the World; Sam Darnold who was the Orange County Athlete-of-the-Year, Rose Bowl MVP while at USC, a 1st round draft pick for the New York Jets and this past season was the youngest starting QB in the history of the NFL; Kolby Allard was a 1st round draft pick for the Atlanta Braves and is currently pitching for their MLB team; and, his battery mate Lucas Herbert was a 2nd round draft pick for the Atlanta Braves in the same draft class – simply amazing.
This current school year (18/19), of the 23 CIF sanctioned sports, 22 of our varsity teams received CIF Academic Distinction for having a team-wide cumulative (unweighted) GPA of 3.0 or higher. Two (2) of our varsity teams won the prestigious CIF-SS Academic Team Championship - Girls’ Track and Girls’ Wrestling!! - this was out of nearly 300 large schools (enrollment over 1500). All 22 varsity teams finished in the Top 32; and, eight (8) of our varsity teams finished in the Top 10 including Baseball (10th); Girls’ Golf (10th); Boys’ Track (10th); Girls’ Volleyball (10th); Boys’ Swim (8th); Boys’ Volleyball (6th); Girls’ Track (1st); and Girls’ Wrestling (1st).